Are you browsing the web with your Android smart-phone/tablet and suddenly you see that your favourite distro just release the ISO you are waiting? Do you want to tap on “download” and start the torrent but… do you want to use your PC instead of the current device? OK here KDE Connect and KTorrent are your heroes. Let’s see how to setup all.
1) open KTorrent > move to add-ons tab > activate the scan folder one
2) open KTorrent’s settings > move to scan folder tab > set a path and check open-without-warnings option
KDE Connect (from the device will download the torrent):
1) KDE Connect settings (from your PC) > obviously pair your devices
2) check the file sharing service and open its settings > set as destination folder the one scanned by KTorrent
Now let’s try it:
1) download a .torrent file from your phone
2) share it with KDE Connect app (or open the app, select your destination, tap on “send a file” and select it)
The torrent should start on your PC without other inputs
Useful if you have a download-device without monitor and input devices.
Maybe this could work also from Plasma Desktop to Plasma Desktop. Currently I can’t try, comments if you know it and let me know too 😉
And what about starting a .torrent when you are not at home and your PC s there? You could apply the same idea using for example Syncthing or ownCloud client (or any other thing that let you put a .torrent file from your phone to a folder of your PC).
Now you know KTorrent can scan folders and KDE Connect can put files into a folder, I’m sure you are smart enough to find other ways to use these two feature 😉
Ciao and see you around!